MOHAN USA sponsored the Gift of Life Institute’s (GOLI) Mini Fellowship in Organ Donation for Dr. Hemal Kanvinde, Quality Assurance Officer of MOHAN Foundation from 28th October 2019 to 7th November 2019 in Philadelphia.
Gift of Life Donor Program, Philadelphia is one of the largest Organ Procurement Organization (OPO) that covers deceased organ and tissue donation in the tristate zone of eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware and southern New Jersey.
The Mini Fellowship comprised personal interactions, observational learning and one summit.
Personal interactions: Gift of Life Donor Program manages every facet of the donation process, coordinates the recovery of organs and tissues, and allocates the organs to suitable recipients as per UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing) allocation policies. Many parts of their work were explained through interactions with the staff.
- Gift of Life Donor Program – Overview
- Community Relations & Public Education
- Transplant Coordinators in Hospital Services Coordinator
- Family Support ServicesDonation and Transplant Analysis
- Transplant Information Centre
- Transplant Pregnancy Registry
- Learning through observation visits:
Meeting with ICU nursing staff after a donation – Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and Virtua Memorial Hospital
- Ms Yolanda Toole, a donor mother, Phildelphia
- Dr. Edward Hamaty DO, FACCP, FACOI
- Dr. Joseph Scalea, MD
- Dr. Donald J. Annino, Jr., MD, DMD
- Tissue retrieval process – Gift of Life Donor Program, Philadelphia
- Education of nurses – in Virtua Memorial Hospital
- Meeting with Donation Champion – a donor mother
- Sitting in one pathology meeting -Einstein Medical Cent